Who knew that deli greatness would be made
It was the early 20th century. A popular businessman mixed swiss cheese, sauerkraut, corned beef, and Russian dressing over rye. Little did he know that this mix of sweet, salty, meaty, and tangy would be a sensation that persists well beyond the early 20th century and well beyond traditional inner city delis. Of course there is a dispute who the actual creator was. There seems to be more than one “Reuben” mentioned.
- One article says the inventor was Arnold Reuben in New York City
- Another says it was a man named Reuben Kay
- Yet another says the man they called Reuben Kay was actually a man named Reuben Kulakofsky In Omaha, Nebraska
- Another said a hotel owner named Schimmel helped Reuben Kay..or was that Kulakofsky create the sandwich with a few ingredient additions
- A more far fetched story says a New York account named Richard Hammerly invented the sandwich and named it after Arnold Reuben
And I am sure there is more to this deli restaurant saga. Here is what I can piece together from these facts. A person, most likely with some connection to a “Reuben” named person put part of the ingredients of this sandwich together. A few additions were made somewhere creating the modern version of this sandwich. Personally I don’t care. Here is what I think happened.
Mankind Was Gifted With One Of The Great Deli Sandwiches Of Our Time
The combination is magical and I think the most important part of the story is execution. Just because you invented it is nice, but can you make it to perfection. And I mean mouth watering over the top bursting with flavor culinary perfection.
Try Our Reuben..At New York Deli & Pizza Of Williamsburg
Here is what the founder, or founders had in mind with the famed Reuben. Fresh bread overflowing with corned beef and the right amounts of sauerkraut and Russian dressing. The raw size of this deli miracle is a challenge to any hearty appetite in search of flavor.
Come try it for yourself
New York may be a little far but the New York Deli in Lightfoot is not. We are located near everything.
Near the WISC
We are also near the Wililamsburg Sports Complex. If you are feeling hungry after soccer, baseball, basketball or other recreation at the WISC call or visit us for piping hot pizza, sandwiches, family meals, Italian food, and more